Saturday, January 3, 2009

Believe the Hype. CWC


Righteous!
(photo by Dodi Legaspi)

The first thing we noticed as we drove into the parking lot of the Camsur Watersports Complex were the people. The hordes of people who were there waiting in line to experience what has been called the best Wake boarding complex in the entire world. And the best were in fact there. Till last week, I've only seen people fly on these boards on videos. Of course, I tricked myself into thinking that by the end of the day, I would be flying on the board as well but it was not meant to be (More on why, later).

We arrived in Naga at around noon where we checked in at the Sampaguita Travelers' Inn. CWC was fully booked and will be until summer of 2009. The hotel was fine. Besides we were only going to stay for a night. It had the basics" AC, Cable TV, and a so-so comfort room. The front desk said that they had hot water, but we found out later that wasn't true. But the place was serviceable if you plan on a whole day of activities, which we did.

                                              
    front office

CWC is located in the town of Pili, Camarines Sur. Upon arriving, you will have to line up in the registration area where they will tell you how long you will have to wait before you get your turn in the lake. We were unlucky to have arrived on a very busy day, good thing our friends who arrived a day earlier already cued us so we only had to wait for an hour and a half. It was fine since we also needed some time to take our lunch anyway. We proceeded to the clubhouse restaurant and bar. I decided to get the Philly Cheesesteak since I'm a huge chesestake fan. Bituin (Girlfriend!) wanted the bacon cheeseburger and some of us tried the chicken salad. We settled down and called for the waiter...called again...and again. Mom got unnerved so she went to the cashier and demanded for a waiter. I don't know if it was just us, but it seemed like the waiters were favoring the foreigners before us Filipinos. But then again, it was a full house, but still I counted two groups who sat after us and got their orders in before us -both foreign groups. Finally, the bartender came and got our orders, she apologized saying it was a very busy day. We got our orders in and waited...and waited...and waited some more. After an hour some the food arrived, but by that time we were already getting ready for our turn at the lake. When we did finally get to eat the food, I couldn't tell if it was any good or not because the bread was already hard and the meat cold. Bituin said it the burgers were fine, and the chicken salad that came after our turn in the lake, was delicious.  
The pulley system, cabanas, and the "beach"



Learning how to knee board
waiting for our turn

When it was finally my turn to knee-board, I got into position and prayed that I won't wipe-out since there were a lot of people watching. I didn't mind the physical pain, I just didn't want to fall flat on my face in the water in front of everybody. I was the first one to try from the group and I wanted to show them that it was as easy as it looked. When the guide said "knee-boarder ready!" I braced myself and I was off to the water. It was an awesome ride! And I didn't fall flat on my face, In fact it was easier than I thought it would be. Sure, it was hell on the arms, but I don't exercise for nothing. After me, my brothers and sister went and we all enjoyed the ride. A few more rounds in and my brothers and i decided it was time to try standing. Too bad we didn't have enough time left so after 2 failed attempts at standing up, our time ended. One hour isn't nearly enough to appreciate wake boarding and we were disappointed to learn that the next available time was 5 hours away. 

 
brother alex on the knee-board (photo by Dodi Legaspi)


 
waiting for the signal

Despite the long waiting time, and so-so service, CWC succeeds in giving the people what they came for, and that's the accessibility of a world-class wake boarding facility. The thrill you get when you finish a lap (or not) on a board will have you smiling for the rest of the day. Even my parents who are turning 50 this year were able to ride and enjoy the park. It really is a unique experience.

If you do go to CWC just make sure you reserve a room ahead since most of the time they are fully booked. You can also try the hotels and apartelles in Naga, if you run out of options. A whole day in CWC should be enough for first-timers since the next day, you're arms will be too sore to ride again. Although I'm sure you'll find a way to ride again even with the pain. For food, just try to bring some in with you, the service is too slow, and if ever you get tired of the lake, there are lot more activities to try. 

For CWC rates and rentals follow the link.

Till the next adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment